Planned giving may offer affiliated funds the biggest (often untapped) opportunity to transform their place. The vast majority of planned gifts happen because someone educated, motivated, and asked the donor to make a gift. Whether it’s a group of FAC members who commit to making future gifts, or someone who moved away from their hometown but saw their fund mentioned in the local newspaper and decided to give back, for most individuals, planned gifts are the largest gifts they’ll ever leave . . . not to mention, an affiliated fund’s most effective way to capture a portion of the transfer of wealth occurring across Greater Nebraska.
We invite and challenge you to join us in advancing your fund’s gift planning efforts through NCF’s 2020 Planned Giving Marketing Challenge!
Every month in 2020, we’ll send out a simple checklist to complete by the end of the month to help advance your fund’s planned giving efforts. The tasks will be communicated via our Affiliated Fund E-newsletter (scroll to the bottom of this page to sign-up) and this webpage.
- Watch Emily Sulzle’s NCF Classroom video on Planned Giving Basics.
- Commit to making personal phone calls to your donors (not just planned giving donors) and check in. What challenges are they facing in light of the pandemic? What positive things have they witnessed in your community? How are people coming together?
- Download the April social media graphic below and post to your Fund’s Facebook page and/or on the personal pages of your FAC members with this message:
In the face of adversity, COMMUNITY NAME always rises to the challenge. If you are feeling alone, afraid, or isolated, know your friends and neighbors are here to help. And if FUND NAME can be of service, please reach out. We are all in this together.
- Have you assembled your working group of planned giving enthusiasts? If so, reach out to Emily Sulzle to schedule a call about how NCF can best support you whether that’s identifying planned giving prospects, hosting a planned giving education event, or creating new marketing materials to inform your donors about their giving options.
- Read and share our latest NCF Classroom article on the impact of the SECURE Act on charitable giving.
- Attend our March 25 Lunch & Learn on “Planned Giving Basics.”
- Download the March social media graphic below and post to your Fund’s Facebook page and/or on the personal pages of your FAC members with this message:
10,000 baby boomers will turn 70 today! Qualified charitable distributions (QCDs) allow those age 70 ½ to make tax-free gifts of up to $100,000 from their IRAs to the causes and communities they care about most. Learn more at nebcommfound.giftlegacy.com
- Watch and read Emily Sulzle’s NCF Classroom post on “Teaching Others About Planned Giving.” Discuss with other members of your Fund Advisory Committee and consider if your Fund should coordinate a planned giving education event in the future. Reach out to Emily if you are interested!
- Have a discussion with your Fund Advisory Committee about assembling a small working group or committee of planned giving enthusiasts. Perhaps these folks have planned gifts in place themselves and love talking about the benefits to others. Or maybe they are just energized around the possibility of helping others plan their legacy. Moving forward, this person/people can be listed as contacts in any planned giving marketing materials and will also be the driving force behind your Fund’s planned giving efforts.
- Download and share one of our donor valentines on social media. Recognizing and thanking donors on a regular basis is a crucial piece of effective planned giving marketing.
BONUS! Because it is a very common time of year for CDs (bank certificates of deposit) to mature, February is a popular time of year for your donors to consider establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA). Your donors may appreciate converting a low-interest investment into fixed, lifetime income for themselves or another income beneficiary and receive a tax deduction, all while knowing they’re leaving a future gift to a cause near to their hearts. NCF has developed a Charitable Gift Annuity brochure that you can share with prospective donors. Our Office of Gift Planning is also equipped to run illustrations for your prospective donors to help them and their advisors determine what a CGA would look like in their situation.
Download this brochure or request printed copies from NCF to share with donors who may be interested in making a gift to your hometown through a Charitable Gift Annuity. Contact Emily Sulzle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402.323.7329 if your donors are interested in establishing a CGA!
Before the end of the month, download this social media graphic and post it to your fund’s Facebook page and/or on the personal pages of your FAC members with the following caption:
An estimated 70% of American adults have either no will or their will is outdated. Planning for the future is easier than you think and 2020 is the perfect time to get started. Nebraska Community Foundation’s FREE Wills Guide will guide you through the process. Download an easy to use, fill-in-the-blank booklet that can help you organize all the information you’ll need to plan your legacy at: https://nebcommfound.giftlegacy.com/?pageID=19
Participating in the 2020 Planned Giving Marketing Challenge? Let us know by emailing email@example.com.