Nebraska Community Foundation was established in 1994 by a group of visionaries determined to empower communities throughout the state to grow and prosper. They believed that with the right tools and resources, people could build the hometowns of their dreams. Hometowns that are poised to attract families, lay a progressive and sustainable foundation, create opportunities, emanate pride and welcome everyone.
Through philanthropy, our team helps communities develop strong local economies, high quality of life, and abundant leadership and volunteer opportunities. We empower local leaders to identify community assets, invest in their own resources, and bring about their own positive change. Our mission, vision and values guide our commitment to helping Greater Nebraska reach its full potential.
Our affiliated funds are led by those who best know the needs of the community — the people who call it home.
Nebraska is a place where our hometowns are achieving their dreams.
We unleash abundant local assets, inspire charitable giving, and connect ambitious people to build stronger communities and a Greater Nebraska.
- Affiliated Funds have the capacity, competence and confidence to inspire, lead and support progress in their place
- Affiliated Funds are using payout from their unrestricted endowment to create positive change that otherwise may not occur
- People attraction is occurring in Nebraska hometowns
- The NCF network is diverse, inclusive and skilled in understanding and addressing issues and opportunities that are important to our communities
- NCF is known for building an optimistic, confident brand for Greater Nebraska
- NCF has the institutional capacity and financial stability to carry out its mission
The following values guide the decisions, actions and attitudes of the NCF Board, staff and volunteer network:
- Relationships are built on trust and reciprocity
- Local solutions are central to local challenges and opportunities
- Our work must add value in our communities
- We are patient and persistent, with the goal of long-term positive outcomes
- We encourage deep volunteer involvement
- We welcome broad participation at every level
- We hold ourselves to the highest personal and professional standards
- We are committed to continuous learning and teaching
- We work with courage and embrace change
- We do our best work when we are having fun
- Our work aligns with our culture and values
Nebraska Community Foundation draws on volunteer community leadership, place-based philanthropy, peer-to-peer learning, experienced mentors, and professionals to create greater opportunity for all. Together we:
- Envision a brighter future
- Nurture active hope
- Recruit and develop diverse local talent and leadership
- Invite contributions of time, talent, and treasure from all people
- Cultivate a culture of giving to grow endowments for community reinvestment
- Manage financial resources
- Build and leverage every local asset
- Develop and deploy community mentors to advise and encourage fellow volunteers
- Engage in beneficial partnerships within and beyond our network
- Advance our mission through effective communications
- Secure philanthropic investment for advancing NCF’s mission
We’re proud of the communities we assist, the leaders we work with, and the donors we celebrate. The National Standards Seal we display conveys our level of commitment to financial security, transparency and support to countless important causes throughout our great state. The seal is official confirmation from the Council on Foundations that we have met the most rigorous standards in philanthropy. The seal also confirms our history of honoring donors’ wishes to support countless important causes.
Nebraska Community Foundation (NCF) is a tax-exempt public charity in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. NCF is governed by a volunteer board of directors made up of a diverse group of community leaders from across the state. NCF board and staff are committed to good governance practices, transparency and accountability to the communities, organizations and donors we serve. If you would like to see our records, please visit the Financials page.